This quilt lined Carhartt coat single handedly changed my views on winter clothing.
I used to think there was no hope staying warm in the winter with clothing alone. I have done a lot of winter camping, and just stuff outside in the winter. However, I was always cold unless I was working, or hiking, or just constantly moving.
I would be warm, sometimes, in a low degree rated sleeping bag. I just never could stay warm.
Why I Got the Coat
To be honest I never really did a lot of research into winter clothing because I had never successfully been warm in winter, and for some reason I just accepted it would never happen.
A couple of years ago we got chickens and I was going to have to go out everyday no matter the weather and do chores. I decided I needed to figure out how to stay warm. Realistically, I wasn’t going to do the chores if I couldn’t be mildly comfortable. That would not be fair to the chickens.
I started looking around at fellow farmers, and homesteaders in my area. Also those same people in colder climates. Most of them wore a Carhartt coat, so I figured they have to know something I don’t.
So I set out to buy a Carhartt coat with absolutely no knowledge of what I was doing, and I bought the wrong one.
The company I worked for offered branded Carhartt coats at a discount if you bought 5, it was mostly meant for sales staff.
I rounded up the people, and we bought 5. Only these were jackets not actual coats. I almost swore off Carhartt coats then and there.
However, my wife convinced me to try one last time. We went to atwoods, and I tried on coats. They were much different than the jacket I owned. They were thick, heavy duty, tough, and super warm. I even started sweating in the store.
It was glorious, but I didn’t buy just yet.
I actually, out of curiosity while my wife was looking at the clearance rack, scanned the coat with the amazon app. On amazon for that day I could buy that coat for $30 off, so… I did. Maybe I shouldn’t have, but it was $30 off.
The Coat is Amazing
For the last two years I have used this coat extensively in all kinds of weather. Here are my favorite reasons I like it
- It actually blocks wind, never experienced that in clothing even when they claim it.
- Sheds water for a long time before it starts to soak in. Usually plenty of time to finish the task I am on.
- Super warm just standing around down into the 30’s, and down into the 10’s if I am working. With a t-shirt or long sleeve t.
- Resistant to tears, I don’t know how many times I have nicked this thing against branches, wood, and other things. No tears.
- The hood. The only con I have is the hood, and it really isn’t one. I don’t like hoods as I wear full brim hats, a lot, so the fact it is there I don’t like. However, the coats without them I didn’t like as much so…
If you are on the fence about buying one, definitely do it. It is totally worth the money. I am so on-board with this coat I will buy one full price if I need to once this one wears out. That said I don’t know when/if it will wear out. It still feels, almost, new and is a couple years old.
After this purchase I have put more time an energy into finding good winter clothes instead of assuming they will all be bad. So, if you are in the same boat I was. Don’t give up.